Friday, April 23, 2010

War Paint and Wonder Capes

I have to document this moment in history. I'm sure at some point I will look back and miss this. But for now, yesterday was one of the most Spencer-trying days of his life to date.

Let's set the mood a little. Mommy is cleaning the kitchen for the first time in a week, preparing for friends to come to dinner. Spencer is conspicuously absent. Then come's Mackenna's voice...."Mom.....Spencer painted hisself with black stuff." This is what I found.


Pink sparkly lip gloss: slathered in hair, rubbed all over eyes, and obviously, on his lips. Eyeliner: well, you can see for yourself. He looks sad because this was taken directly after his rebuking.

It takes mommy ten minutes to get him all wiped down. Luckily he was still in his pajamas. Fast forward to after he is dressed in a clean white t-shirt and Mommy has sent him upstairs to get some socks.

Mackenna: "Mom.....Spencer got into some pink stuff." He has ONCE AGAIN painted his hair, face, and oh, as a bonus this time, his clean white shirt with pink Princess and the Frog chapstick. He undergoes another rubdown, a little more vehement than before.

After school. The girls are helping me clean (still) and we are trying to get a start on homework before our guests arrive.

Emma: "Mom....Spencer is into your white lotion..." but it is not lotion. It is my Mary Kay lip mask that Sarah gave me out of the goodness of her heart. And he has not only rubbed it all over his hands, but has decided to handle the tv remote as well. At this point mommy has no idea what to do about any of this. At some point he also got ahold of a dry-erase marker and drew all over my wall - "making a picture for our customers" - he defends, referring to our dinner guests. This just in, folks.....dry erase markers are only dry erase on a dry erase board. It takes 20 minutes for Sean to scrub it out of the wall.

Am I being punished for something......?

I'll close with a positive. Thanks to Stephanie Smith's suggestion, hair cuts have finally become a little less traumatic for all involved. He used to kick and scream and cry the moment his shorn-off hair would touch his skin, then start thrashing around when the hair went unavoidably into his open mouth. Thank you, wonder cape!

8 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

oy

Anonymous said...

Justin who is now 12 and 1/2 still hasn't out grown the coloring all over himself. He comes home almost every day with marker all over his arms and legs. Yesterday was the final straw for me. He tells me that his friends are the ones doing the coloring. What makes me mad is that they are coloring on his clothes, new ones. Visit to the teacher today. Gotta love it!

Tece said...

Now YOU'RE the one who said that you wanted a cute little boy just like the one in the movie 'Dennis the Menace' when you grew up- sorry but after I read your post I threw my head back and just ROARED with laughter. Love you- Mom

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

he's so adventurous! ;) what fun.

Amy Sue said...

what a stinker!

Marie said...

oh Misty, Mark would have thrown him outside and hosed him off with the freezing cold water, regardless of the fact that it was snowing :) You must have prayed for patience or something. Oh, and what on earth is a wonder cape and where on earth can I get one?!?!

Sarah E Boucher said...

Oy! I just saw my mission comp's blog about her little boy and his black eye....kinda cracked me up. Seriously! What do you do when they just keep doing the same dumb thing over and over though? I'm pretty sure I'd resort to duct tape by about the second time. No more touching mommy's things for you, little man!

Amber said...

I think they have radar for the times we are already stressed, and have 10,000 other things to do! but, he is pretty cute...ANd maybe I'm glad he has one more year to outgrow this before preschool...haha!