Thursday, May 29, 2008

Coral Roses




Tonight was my last Fondant and Tiered Cakes class - here is my finale cake. The bottom layer is four batches of rice krispy treats, which, by the way, I LOVE working with. It was super easy to make it the perfect shape, and sticking the roses in was easier than the top layer, which is real cake. I made the fondant myself - it is marshmallow fondant that you make in your microwave. It tastes a thousand times better than the Wilton packaged fondant. The roses are fondant too - the whole thing is edible! Except for the toothpicks - OUCH. Anyway, my instructor was surprised at how my roses turned out and she kept saying how proud she was of me. I think I almost dare to do wedding cakes now, as long as they are simple like this. No five-tiered cakes with all kinds of string work and fountains. My next class starts next week - Fondant and Gum Paste.

Today was insane. I had the cake to do and I realized I needed more krispy treat to fill the pan this morning. HELLO - I had already gone through 5 bags of marshmallows between the fondant and the krispy treats. So I used some rainbow marshmallows I had in the pantry for the kids to make a little more, and the pan was finally full. Also a girl I visit teach had her baby the other day and I agreed to take dinner over today, not realizing what a hassle it would be to have dinner and a wedding cake (basically) ready by 5:30. So my standard of living was 'survive' today. Now I am finally sitting down. I keep sighing and Sean keeps asking what's wrong. It just feels good to be on my butt and off my feet!

15 comments:

Amy Sue said...

You're hired! I like rice crispy treats! ;)

Steph said...

Holy crap, that is amazing! You are so talented! You totally should do wedding cakes, and make a few bucks! I am impressed! its beautiful! hope your weekend is a little less stressful. :)

KickButtMommy said...

Gorgeous Misty! I am seriously so proud of you! What an amazing talent to have.

Bethany said...

That is gorgeous! I am super impressed. And I love the rice krispy idea. Yummy.

Mandee said...

That is really impressive! On a sidenote...I tried the "quick" friendship bread. My opinion is a little biased because I have never tasted the real friendship bread, I have to say the recipe I used was really good. I also got an Amish baked oatmeal recipe from the same site. I normally don't like oatmeal, but this stuff was really good. It almost comes out like a cake. You just put it in a bowl and pour a little milk over it. Yummy! Sorry for such a long post.

The Jones Family said...

Misty, you are so talented!!! That is BEAUTIFUL! I'm sure it's a lot of work...you did Awesome!! Way to go Super Mom!! :)

katie said...

I just found you from the Wolls blog. Never knew you had that talent. I will be sure to let the relief society president know. That is way impressive! I will be checking in once in a while. Consider yourself stalked by me! You all are awesome!!!!

Matt & Viki said...

These cakes look so GREAT! I am impressed with your talent.

Annette's Best Kept Secrets said...

You did awesome. The cake looks really good. And tasty too. You should totally go into business for it.

Crystal said...

That looks GREAT Misty!!!

Dee said...

Oh my word! Mist... that is beautiful! Those roses look real! I am duelly impressed.. and hungry.

Love you!

kelly l said...

you're cakes are looking great. just try to remember that you're supposed to be doing something for you, right? it just doesn't help when that gets mixed up with real life.

Beeks by the Lake said...

Misty YOU ARE SO TALENTED! I've seen a lot of wedding cakes in my day - being a wedding photographer that means I have seen way more than most - and well, your cake rocks! Look how smooth your fondant turned out - NO WRINKLES - GORGEOUS FLOWERS. I mean seriously. You have a talent. I'll have to send you a photo of one cake that I loved photographing - I was wondering if it was gum paste flowers. You'll have to let me know.

Sue said...

Hey Misty,
This cake is beautiful....I am so proud of you! Just try not to let yourself get too stressed in the process! That's easier said than done of course!

Sue said...

Beautiful Misty! I'm so proud of you!