Monday, May 5, 2008

nothin' special

Not even any cute pictures. Just a couple tidbits from my day. Mackenna and Spencer have officially started fighting. Today Spencer was holding Kenna's pony house trying to heft it into the baby doll stroller, smacking Kenna with it in the face on the way. Our sweet four-year-old doesn't yet understand that his coordination isn't quite there yet, so she took it from him and hit him back with it. NICE. As if he hasn't been crying for 3 days anyways. He has a cold or something and is ornery as a bear after winter. On the upside he has decided he likes hot dogs again, but now, interestingly enough, has a newfound aversion to cup-o-noodles, which he used to eat at least once a day.

This may sound weird, but I was so thankful to actually get to sleep in this morning.....clear until 7. Our kids have always been early risers, but usually the girls play in their room when we wake up, and as long as they're quiet Spencer will sleep in a little longer. Since Dodger came to our family that is a thing of the past. As soon as he hears the first stirrings of life upstairs he starts yipping and yipping. He does sleep all the way through the night (sorry Heather!), so he needs to go potty first thing. It would be nice though, if he would go back in his kennel to sleep after! Since we got him we have been up between 6 and 6:30 every morning. This morning Sean left for work at 6. He took Dodger potty and put him back in his kennel, and I laid in bed half-tense, waiting for the onslaught of ankle-biter yips and yaps. I found myself praying, actually making a deal, that if I could just sleep until 7 I would be willing to do almost anything. I started to offer that I would not yell at my kids all day, and then I thought "get real". So I promised to try and stay positive and not let my mood get into that downhill plunge it takes so often, and also that I would spend 1:1 time with each of my kids today. So I read to Emma for a while today. I walked around the house with Kenna finding things that start with "J" for her sound box, and I put my book down (The Other Boleyn Girl)to hold Spencer, play peek-a-boo, and tickle him.

Tomorrow I get to start my next Wilton course, Fondant and Tiered Cakes!

2 comments:

The Jones Family said...

I find myself saying the same prayers almost on a daily basis! I haven't slept through the night in 5 years, and we too are up by 630. It's amazing what we can accomplish as ZOMBIES! And...thanks for the kind words, I needed it. :)

KickButtMommy said...

Sounds like a good day to me! Luigi is finally sleeping through the night too! Until 6. I am with you though, because once he is up he wants to play and I just want to sleep!