Thursday, November 6, 2008

Andy Rooney on Flu Vaccines and Day Light Savings

I have several questions to pose to anyone who cares. Or maybe you don't care - at any rate I need to vent. WARNING: I am about to sound like Andy Rooney on 60 minutes.


1. What is the point of a flu shot anyway? Seriously. Spencer has had horrible diarrhea ever since he got his on Monday, which equals diaper rash, which equals me getting kicked in the chest or the crotch or wherever his stubby little legs can reach while I change him. I end up practically sitting on him to keep him still while I change him. It's about every hour or so that he yells "bum-bum!" and starts wailing. Then I have to hold his ankles up in the air with my right hand since it's the strongest, while he bucks and tries to flip over as I wipe him. That's to get the back of the bum. Then to get in the folds I have to pin each of his legs down under mine while he keeps kicking and slides across the floor, smearing diarrhea or diaper cream across my lovely shag carpet. If any of you come to my house and see a suspicious stain, DON'T ASK. My RN husband will probably chide me for my flu vaccine-cynicism, but what can I say? It's getting old already. I don't even know if his bowel issues are a result of the shot. Lest any of you think I have no compassion, I do feel bad for the little guy. It can't feel good having your poop burn on the way out and then sit against your skin, and then get scraped off you by something that is cold and wet.

2. Why does maintaining a household have to be so hard? Every aspect of it is a challenge right now. Mouths to feed. Clothes to wash. Toys to pick up. Dishes - endless dishes - to do. It never ends. I understand the need for opposition. I understand that challenges make us grow in ways we probably wouldn't otherwise. This is the eternal question I ask myself over and over. Why does it have to be so hard? I keep feeling like the Lord is trying to teach my family something. Some valuable lesson we will need later, which can only come through the hardships we are facing right now. Don't get me wrong. There is no big tragedy at our house. It's just the same thing everyone goes through when you try to live on one income. And yet, I have to ask myself how many of our needs are truly needs. I think a person can live on surprisingly little - it's just that we're used to a certain standard of living. Plenty - of everything. At least gas prices are dropping, right? The other day I filled my beast for $76 instead of $90. (See, honey, I CAN be positive).

3. Why do my kids wake up while it's still dark EVERY MORNING? Tell me. If I catch them in time I make them get their little fannies back into bed, but this morning I was too late. I heard their little voices drifting up from downstairs just after 6 a.m. I was too lazy to go all the way downstairs, so I whispered "shhhhhhh!" at the top of my lungs over the banister and went back to bed. At least Spencer slept a little later. Trouble is, them getting up right after 6 was actually like them getting up just after 7 before the time change, and they were waking up at 6 before the time change. At any rate, we were all up before 7 today. The last week has been horrible for mornings. I wake up in a bad mood and the kids have been extra rambunctious in the morning, which makes me grumpier. I try to make breakfast, which I hardly ever do any more, and Spencer hangs on me crying the whole time. Or the girls both want to 'help' make the muffins and end up fighting or getting pushed off their chairs by Spencer because he wants to help too. Maybe I should just invest in a cereal dispenser. Or a robot.

4. Why is it that the only real 1:1 time I have with Emma is the time Spencer decides to be needy? I have been trying to sit down with Emma right after school and get her reading done. Inevitably, the MOMENT I plant myself on the couch Spencer runs across the room and slams into me, crying. And he won't just sit nicely and listen to Emma read, either. I have tried turning on a show for him, but it distracts Emma. I have tried sitting him down with a snack - doesn't work either. I am at a loss. Finally we have started putting Spencer to bed and then letting the girls stay up long enough for reading - but seriously, that is a risk. Usually by 7:00 I don't want to look at any of my kids any more.

5. Has anyone seen 'Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood'? You know the part where she totally runs away and stays in a hotel on the beach by herself for a few days? Yeah. I'm there.

Here is some Andy Rooney wisdom, quite relevant to my little rant up there. Good on ya, Andy!
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=3087120n

13 comments:

Beeks by the Lake said...

that flu vaccine is actually not for the stomach flu. it's for that terrible cough that can kill you. not sure why they don't name it better. but it sounds like he either got something (a coincidence) or he's having a reaction to the vaccine. You might try looking it up on the internet. Go get some Resinol from the pharmacy (Or have your hubby pick it up) you don't need a prescription, but it works wonders for painful diaper rash. It numbs the pain. And it's protects quite well. I apply it with a diaper wipe.

And girl, it sounds like you do need some away time. I'd let you come up here, but my kids would drive you nuts. Figure out what you can do without time wise. I also started trying to figure out what assignments I could get Haeley to do on her own. I fold her clothes, but she is in charge of putting them in the dresser and hang them in the closet. When I feel overwhelmed (daily) I start to figure out what I can delegate. Tyler's been washing the dishes each night after dinner. I loathe washing dishes and so that makes me feel better inside and makes one less big thing to do. I unload everything in the morning and then load breakfast dishes. LIFESAVER. You really don't have to do it all. Your children will thank you one day for challenging them around the home front. Take a nap if you need one. Seriously. And one last thing, I was praying about what I should do about my exhaustion the other day. I was so tired all day I was completely ineffective, and grouchy! The Spirit said "Go to bed earlier!" Whatever it may be for you, Heavenly Father will answer you. He can make your burden light! I hear Nephi's words to his brothers Laman and Lemuel that he is mightier than 50, yea 100 - even 3 children, a dog, and house guests. You're in my prayers.

And I just read about a gratitude journal. This article in REAL SIMPLE magazine this month about gratitude journals. You sleep better, etc. and when your sleep is limited, you need each minute to count. There are so many other reasons they listed - the sleep one just stuck out to me. Wonderful article! It's helped me to record answers to prayer, no matter how simple or small. And things that lighten my burdens. It's awesome and I recommend it!

KickButtMommy said...

I haven't decided if time away helps or makes it harder. I mean it just seems to emphasize what you are missing to me.

Sean said...

I have to been infavor of flu shots. they are paying for the food on the table.

Dee said...

Amen sister.

Jeannie said...

Dang it. I was going to say "Amen" and someone else did already. That was supposed to be my funny comment. Oh well. Don't you sometimes want to go get a job to be able to pay for a maid, you get double bonus, time away from the house, and housekeeper.

Tevita and Jodi said...

I feel ya. I have a 2 year old who won't even let me go to the bathroom alone! I know it is driving me nuts but I guess it won't be forever and we will look back and wish that we wouldn't have wished this time away! Hang in there, I'll keep you in my prayers!

Amber said...

Misty, you poor girl! Although, I am also in favor of flu shots...our little family has seen the BAD effects of not having them, but poor little Spencer, and no fun for you! As far as all the other stuff goes I don't have the answers either in fact I just told Rich tonight this 5 against 1 thing, (you know 5 people dirtying laundry, dishes, house, homework, etc., etc.), and only 1 (me) doing anything about it, isn't very fair... ah well, one day at a time, you'll make it, and so will your kids, then you'll look back on these times when your kids are big and you'll wish for THESE trials again.

Steph said...

Motherhood, if we got paid for all the "crap" we go through we would be loaded!
go find your kids halloween candy and eat some chocolate! I've been doing it all week....HELP!!!

Sarah E Boucher said...

I feel your pain sista! Seems like there is always some sort of evil to deal with daily life eh? Good news is, all the evil does bond you together as a forever family. I mean, the freakin' neanderthal Bouchers are super tight now...that's just how it happens!

Kim said...

I am so with you on the beach. I don't even care if it's the smelly beaches of the Salt Lake.

The Jones Family said...

You know the saying "all my trials in life I either married or gave birth to"....I am so with you. Ella had the bug for 17 days, Josh for 10 and counting. So far Caleb and I are hanging in. But there's always tomorrow. :) It's better to have sorrow/trial/frustration, so we know when things are good. Otherwise we may not know how to be happy...bla bla bla. Hang in there...I will too! :)

Angela said...

I do have a little suggestion for the poop thing. Put him in the shower evertime he poops, It's better then wiping it off and holding him down, and it is a little more comfertable for him and he gets to play for a few minutes. WEll, that what I do when I get soo sick of wiping my kids poopy bums.
I feel for you, I have had many days like you have had as well.

Dan said...

I just happened to be listening to conference talks this weekend and came upon this one: http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-26,00.html

We have been dealing with some similar issues and it helps a bit. I happen to have the side of the bed closest to the door and the kids just want to have Dad in the morning. It sucks. One thing we enjoyed about Arizona was no daylight savings screwing with the kids sleep schedules.