Saturday, November 22, 2008

My Working Four-Year-Old and Twilight Spoiler

I got some bad news yesterday while I was at the movie. My biological father has had cancer for the last year or so, and he passed away yesterday. For anyone who is up on the details of my sordid family history, you'll understand that I wasn't that close to him, and a positive relationship between us wasn't ever accomplished. For those of you who aren't privy to the gory details, just watch 'The Dysfunctional Home Show' on In Living Color, and you get the picture. Anyway, we will be going down to Richfield on Tuesday for the funeral. I am feeling guilty that I don't feel more sad - but mostly I am happy for him. He is finally out of pain and is able to be with his mom again, my grandma who died several years ago, and who I have missed severely. She was a very good friend of mine during those awful teenage years.

Mackenna got ahold of my camera again the other day, and I have to say she is actually getting quite good. I think she may have a future there. She took 124 pictures of everything, including several views of her room from Emma's bunk bed and Emma's bed itself, her feet, Spencer, Spencer's room and many details such as his sport light plate, etc. I don't want to encourage her to touch my very expensive camera, but she is getting really good. Somehow I don't feel like the cheapy $5 pretend camera going in her stocking will cut it. Maybe next year. Anyway, here are a few of her pictures:






WARNING: TWILIGHT MOVIE SPOILER TO THE END OF THE POST (that means you too, honey!)

What can I say? I was in a haze for about two hours after the movie. I went with my best friend Dionne and we went to Applebees after, and I kept seeing a pair of amber eyes looking back at me (SORRY, DI). I don't really think about the fact that the story takes place in high school - I think since it is written by an adult you forget that - but the movie made it abundantly clear that it is a teenage thing. I thought Kristin Stewart did a great job with Bella's character, and what can I say about Robert Pattinson? YOWSA. He totally pulled it off. He even brought an element of comedy (like when Bella sits next to him the first time in biology and he plugs his nose and looks like he's about to gag) to the character that I think may even have been lacking in the book itself - Edward is always so somber. I loved the way his eyes smiled when he smiled, but he also did the brooding well too. I only thought one part was too goofy to handle, the part where he is sucking the venom out of Bella's James-wound, and the faux-tortured look on his face. I actually laughed out loud at that. I loved the first kiss scene, even though that's not quite how it happened in the book - I will probably rewind that one a few times (okay, I will - no probably about it) when I get the DVD, WHICH I WILL. I was a little shocked at her informal attire though - 'holy cow, she's in her underwear'. I just about swooned in my seat when he said 'hold on, spidermonkey' and took her tree climbing on his back. I don't know why, but I thought it was so adorable. I absolutely loved Charlie. He wasn't at all how I pictured him, but I loved his character and all the comical things he said/did with a totally straight face. I so want to go out and buy the sound track, but it will have to wait.

9 comments:

Mandee said...

I can't wait to see it!

Jeannie said...

Misty, I just love reading your blog. You always tell it how it is. I love that. I've never read the books, I'm not quite sure how I've managed not to living here. I'm going to have to one of these days.

My sister-in-law has the camera you need. It's water proof and shock proof. I'll tell you about it sometime.

Angela said...

I couldn't agree more with you on the whole Twilight movie thing. I loved it to... suprisingly because I wasn't expecting much. I thought that they way overdramazited the sucking the blood out of her wound as well... not to mention the bites that Dr. Cullen, didn't he just "bite" Edward, not go all crazy? Oh well, but, by far an excelent movie.

Sarah E Boucher said...

You'll have to check mine out! I found some fabulous photos online. It really was a great movie...I may have to see it like 4 more times before it goes video. So anytime you feel like running off to get a bit o' Pattinson, I am all over that plan.

kelly l said...

i liked the movie way more than i thought. i loved edward when he picked up bella for school and everyone was looking at them and he threw his arm around her with a smile. i think that was my favorite edward moment, i don't know why. and i'm in agreement, he was definitely a hottie - which i wasn't expecting. and definitely have to see it again.

Tevita and Jodi said...

When I was reading your blog it was like having the same conversation over again. Everything you said my friend and I were talking about on the way home from the movie. Yes, my best friend and I drove 2 hours to Cedar City to watch this movie. We kept trying to talk ourselves out of it because remember, we are adults here! But we sat mesmerized by the movie and went to Applebees to eat afterwards and couldn't stop talking about it the whole time! I'm glad you liked it. I'm sorry about your dad. I would like to see you if possible.

Amber said...

I'm sorry about your dad! Does this mean I will miss Mackenna yet another day? I love her! That is crazy, 124 pictures? YIKES, but you're right, some of them are actually really good. Oh, and I can't wait to see the movie...SOMETIME! Wanna go?

Amy Sue said...

I can't wait to see it again this week! And of course I can't wait till it comes out on DVD.

You were right about Kenna's pics, they are pretty good!

Steph said...

so sorry about your dad.
You are an awesome writer, can't wait for YOUR book! You blog is always fun to read!
K bed bath and beyond has a real digital kids camera for 24.99 right now and the day after Thanksgiving the v-tech ones usually go cheap too. She is quite the budding photographer.
You already know how I feel about the movie, so when its on dvd we can rewind together!