Saturday, January 17, 2009

A visit from the urinal fairy.....


What is the difference, I ask you, between these two items? I think they cost about the same ($10.47 for a 14-pack). They are used for the same thing, and as my almost-5-year-old told me this morning, they feel the same. The difference is, one of them allows me to sleep through the night without having to change her clothes or bedding, and the other does not.

Let me explain.

About a week ago Mackenna announced that she wanted to stop wearing Pull-ups. I was right on board with that, since I am tired of buying them. So I told her she would have to let me wake her up at night to go potty, and then she could sleep in panties. At first she did okay. She was groggy but she willingly went to the potty. She still ended up wetting the bed at least once even though I woke her up 3-4 times a night to go. Then a couple days ago she started resisting. She would yell if I tried to put her on the potty (she's still 90% asleep at this point), and if I told her she needed to put a Pull-Up on she would yell louder. In the morning she didn't remember any of it, and since she was dry she thought she had made it all the way through the night. "Mom, I'm dry! Do I get my reward now?!" Sigh. "No, honey - you wet your bed last night." "No, I didn't. I'm dry." "Look at your pants. Those aren't the ones you wore to bed last night." Wail. "I'll never be dry, mom...never."

I feel so bad. She is so discouraged and I don't know what to do other than keep encouraging her and be understanding. So, while Carissa was over exercising yesterday morning she suggested to Kenna that she could wear the 'special underwear that you wear to bed....that it's okay to have accidents in - they're NOT pull-ups.' She readily agreed. Though this morning she came into my room and informed me that "MOM - these feel JUST like pull-ups. And they LOOK like pull-ups."
"But they're not Pull-ups, remember? They're nighttime underwear." Pause. "Yeah....I'll never get my reward, mom."

Help me! If anyone has suggestions. I haven't had to go through this before - Emma was potty trained in 3 days at age 3 and never put a pull-up on. She was dry through the night in underwear from the get-go.

10 comments:

Beeks by the Lake said...

Well, I'm the oldest and had no problems. My little sister however wet the bed until she was 14 and then it just magically stopped. My Dad will tell you to try hypnosis. And I can tell you all the medical procedures they tried didn't work either. However my sister in law's little girl is 4 and wets her panties too. They took her in and the DRs said she'd stretched her bladder from holding it too long during the day. It was almost twice the size of an adults. She also had a lot of UTI's because it was forced back up into her kidneys. They now have to make sure she goes potty every hour to help it shrink back down. And if that doesn't work, in a few years she'll have to have surgery. So you might have her bladder checked. Other than that, good luck! It may be something she needs to grow out of.

The Jones Family said...

I hate "potty stuff"! Caleb was 4 when he stopped having accidents. My opinion may be a little diff.,however I would take the pressure off and have her earn a reward another way. Change the focus. It can be by helping you change the sheets or taking care of business in the morning...you decide. I would reassure her that it doesnt matter how long it may take her to stay dry. It will only matter to her if it matters to you. Teach her that some things may take awhile to learn and it's a "non-issue", it's no problem. If you change her in the middle of the night pile the sheets in a place she can help you when you start the wash. She can earn a reward for helping and staying positive. ...Misty, follow your instincts to help her. You will know what's best. Remember that in the end it wont matter how long it took her to stay dry...until then hang in there and have fun!! ;)

Matt & Viki said...

You know I have dealt with this with Conner for a while. Sherrill sent me this website with a guy who talks about different parenting things and had a talk on it you could listen to he was supposed to post a plan for help as well. Conner has been doing well with us just getting up once so I never looked to see if he updated it with the plan but you might check it out. www.parental-power.com

Anonymous said...

If she goes good during the day, I wouldn't worry. I know of atleast two other girls in the area that plus one of mine that went through this same thing. The urologist said some kids just hit a point of sleep that their body relaxes and releases whatever is in the bladder, even if it was just emptied. If you are waking her up 3-4 times a night to go I would bet this is the case with her. The most important thing to remember is to not blame her and treat it for what it is. Her body just isn't there yet. Let her know she is normal and it's just her. The more relaxed she is about it the better. Of the three girls I know they are 8ish and still have some wet nights. I would put stock in pull ups and accept what it is. I'll let you know when the next support group is for the moms cause it's frustrating, but don't show it. :) (There really isn't a support group, but feel free to vent anytime.)

Amber said...

Good luck...I have a 7 year old that wakes up wet and a 3 year old that hasn't had an accident. So, who knows!? Sounds like Kenna is a sound sleeper just like Quinsie!

Jeannie said...

Well, obviously this is in no way her fault. She is done with the pullups and she so badly wants a reward, he body just won't do what she wants. My girls were like Emma, but I know that some children wet the bed for years. If I were you, I'd buy some of those dispoable bed wetting liners that she can lay on and have her sleep in just panties and a short top, so she gets what she wants with no baby girl pullups, but there is a liner for you to just throw away and then all you have is a little pair of panties to wash. Good luck, girl! I've been trying to potty train Casey J for a couple of months now and we are back to diapers.

Sarah E Boucher said...

Don't ask me! Joe was like that too, and my mom was so diligent at waking him up to take him to the bathroom. We had this funky beeper that would sound when he started to wet the bed...he totally slept through it. Maybe that's the issue, it just doesn't wake her up. Joe slept on this nasty crinkly plastic on his mattress for the longest time. Gross. Probably she will just outgrow it. Not all kids are the same. Still, nasty. I hate all kid/human secretions. De-scusting.

Carissa Hill said...

So, she's not easily tricked huh? I tried...

kelly l said...

i know my sister-in-law went through the same thing with her oldest. i think she was successful with the alarm-type thing. have you talked to your doctor about it? i just wouldn't stress too much. she won't be wetting the bed forever.

Dee said...

Mist, You know I am going through the exact same thing, with a few bonuses even :) But I did ask my doctor about it even after Livvy had the test to be sure her bladder was ok. (Because of the UTI, not the bedwetting) He says that we get caught up in making it happen by a certain age but it is actually pretty normal for alot of kids up to 6 or 7. I agree with not making a big deal of it and helping her feel calm about it so she doesn't identify herself with the accidents. We struggle with that one. Hang in there. I know I didn't have a single friend in high school who still wet themselves ;)