Wednesday, July 8, 2009

4th of July Weekend



This weekend we headed down south for the 4th of July. First we went to my parents' house for a bbq and then over to my sister's house to put our stuff away. Sean earnestly tried to light their grass on fire by doing sparklers with the kids:





Then we headed over to the college to save a spot of grass for the fireworks. I was surprised how whiny my kids were. Emma complained about being cold the whole time and Spencer was (of course) afraid of all the noise that comes with fireworks. Mackenna seemed to enjoy herself, though. At least it was fun to hang out with grandma and grandpa.





The next morning we hung around my sister's house until it was time for church, and then we went to my old ward (Elsinore) with my parents. It was so fun to see everyone. You really start to feel your age when you see the kids who were in nursery having kids of their own.

On Monday we went up to Fish Lake to go camping with my grandparents. It is so beautiful there; I worked there the summer I turned 20. We ate lunch and then took the kids down to the lake to play for a while.







Then we walked around the Lodge, which is the building I lived in when I worked there.

We actually got an okay family picture that we might use on our Christmas card this year!


After that we drove down to Bowery Haven and got some ice cream for the kids (okay, we had some too). Then we took the kids back to camp and they played on the tire swing.



Later that night we made a dutch-oven dinner and dessert - and both turned out pretty good! I think I'll post those recipes on Goddesses of Gourmet.

The next morning grandpa gave the kids turns riding on his tractor.




It is so fun to see my grandpa with the kids. He is my father's father, and I'm sorry to say that I don't remember spending any time with him until I turned about 15. He loves the kids, and I am so grateful for him in my life.


My grandma too. She is his 2nd wife, and she keeps him in line. She is also a phonomenal cook, and always making sure every one is taken care of. Thanks for making this weekend so fun!

Here are just some random pictures I took of the scenery (yes, Sarah, I still have a waterfall fetish):





The girls' feet in the ice cold fish lake water:


The fish-face boys:

7 comments:

Tara said...

Ah fish lake memories- the new ones you made look like they were more fun! Your family is darling!

Steph said...

Looks like you guys had a fun time! Hey I didn't see you after we got back and b4 you left. Thanks for grabbing our mail for us, you're the best! Hope you get feeling better! Which is worse anyways, allergies or a cold? You have the most miserable allergies!

Jeannie said...

How fun! I think my favorite is Kenna basking in the sun.

Beeks by the Lake said...

Wow! Talk about a trip back in time. I totally remember the photos you showed me of that cabin clear back when we were in Lexington Park. So cool to see you take your family there!

Tevita and Jodi said...

Don't we just love Fish Lake? I thought about coming up just to see if I could see you but I had no idea where you were. I thought about you though. Love the family picture. It is so cute!!

KickButtMommy said...

I love this family!

Sarah E Boucher said...

I missed you guys sooo much! But it's lovely to see all the fun things you have been doing. I remember Sean's fireworks from last year :) you gotta admit the man likes his FIRE. and the Fish Lake pics are amazing! Good job capturing some great candids of the kids.