Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hobby Lobby


That is the new name for my house. Or maybe I should call it 'The Dysfunctional Home Show'. I feel like all I have done lately is yell at my kids. I have been busy trying to get Emma's birthday present out of the way so I can focus on cakes I have coming up: Carissa's baby shower cake, a 50th birthday cake, & my sister's wedding cake. Emma has been wanting a Belle dress for at least two years now, and I figured I'd better make it before the pattern is too small for her! So here is the partly-finished product; I still have to sew the lining down inside, do the hem, make the wrap that goes around the top, and then my mom is making some red ribbon roses to put on the peplum and on the wrap. I will put the finished product on here!

Here is a cake I did today for one of the Young Women in our ward - she wanted it for someone at school. The icing isn't very smooth on the sides, but for some reason I had a hard time getting it not to fall off the cake altogether. So I used an icing sculptor to put the rivets in the sides. Anyway, it was for a kid at her school who ran cross country (see the little dude running on the graham cracker trail??).



Not much else has been going on around here besides all that! I am annoyed at Hobby Lobby and Michaels for being out of the huge boxes of fondant I need to do the cakes I have coming up. So, instead I made two batches yesterday. Talk about elbow grease!

After making 3 batches of frosting with my ancient hand mixer and 2 batches of marshmallow fondant, I was so sore last night. (Carissa, don't feel bad! I WANT to do this. See my smile?)


Luckily my mom saw my need for Spencer not to be under my feet while I kneaded the fondant, so she read a story to the kids for me. She has been a huge help with dishes and the kids since she got here on Friday.

6 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Good thing your mom is there, busy lady!

Tevita and Jodi said...

Looks like you are pretty busy. If I were closer, I would love to help you. You are lucky to have your mom with you, I'm sure she helps a ton! When are you coming down here? I'd really like to see you.

Carissa Hill said...

Yeah, that smile is so convincing!! Just think of all the business you'll drum up and all the money you and Sean will be rolling in soon. He won't ever have to work again! Haha...

Steph said...

hey am i just dumb or is that pic up top new? it is SO cute! Good luck with all the cakes, let me know if i can help...well not with the cakes. That would be scary! But send the kids over to play if ya need them outta the way!

Steph said...

okay i know its not "new" Spencer is tiny, but did you just put it up? blame it on my lame dial up, i can't always see pictures.

Sarah E Boucher said...

I love the new background..."You look like a little plaid family." And hey any time you need help with cakes or a Michael's run just give me a call...I have no problem with that! Michael's is just down the street from my school. The dress is turning out so cute. I know it can be tough to have a house guest, but at least it is helpful when times get tough, right? Moms are nice like that. Anyway sweety, give me a call and we can chat.