Thursday, September 4, 2008

Out of touch

I feel so out of it! I haven't blogged in a few days - it has been busy around our house. Sean's parents were here for a couple weeks - one week at his brother's to help with the new baby, and the last few days at our house. Can I just say my MIL is an angel? I am christening her the patron saint of laundry. I don't think she rested the whole time she was here.

She was always reading to the kids, emptying and reloading the dishwasher, wiping down counters, etc. The last two days she was here all she did was switch/fold/put away laundry. She is like the Super Woman, I swear. Her help was so appreciated. She even got up before me a couple mornings and fed the kids and did their hair. I am very fortunate.

The last few days I have been making numerous trips to Michaels/Hobby Lobby/Roberts getting stuff for my sister's wedding cake. My little baby sister BryAnne is getting married in six weeks, and I get to do her cake!

I am so excited. After the initial buzz wore off, however, I started pouring over the details in my mind (usually about the time I would lay down to sleep at night).

1: What kind of pillars to put between layers.
2: How many cake mixes it would take to do 2 each 8, 12, 16 inch cakes.
3: How much frosting it would take to frost/fill them and how on earth I would accomplish that with my ancient hand mixer.
4: How to transport the cakes from my house to Richfield.
5: How to flip a 16 inch cake onto a cooling rack that isn't big enough for it.

AHHHHHHH!!!! Okay. The nice thing about it is that with all these questions come much thought and even a few answers.

Question 1: the globe pillar set (she wants polka-dot ribbon, so I thought the balls would go with the dots). Picture it square instead of round, with the ribbon pictured below.


Question 2: 10 cake mixes, which comes out to 60 cups of batter. Give or take a few.

Question 3: Lots....and lots.....of frosting. I won't be making it. I will be buying it bulk from Albertsons or Costco or somewhere.

Question 4: I will bake/fill the cakes at my house, put them in huge boxes to transport and then frost them at the church before putting them together.

Question 5: NO IDEA. Let me know if anyone can come up with anything on that one.

Anyway, I haven't actually seen the colors she picked, but from what I have been told they are baby blue, mint green, & chocolate brown.

So I got this ribbon, and I thought maybe the dot ribbon around the top & bottom tiers, and the brown around the middle. She is having gerbera (sp?) daisies for the top.

Second stress factor! Sean's car is in the shop getting a bunch of valves, shafts, gaskets, and what have you replaced. Last Saturday Sean's mom and my SIL Brooke & the new baby & I were all on our merry way to Swiss Days in Midway (close to Park City). All of a sudden the car lurched and nothing happened when I pushed the gas. I pulled off the side of the freeway and we sat there for an hour waiting for Sean & his dad to bring us a different car. Then they waited for the tow truck for an hour, sacrificing their golf outing when they weren't back in time for the babysitters. Long story short, we have an unexpected car repair payment.

Right now our whole family has colds. Spencer is finally getting over his - he was grumpy bear for a few days there.



In closing, here are some cute pics of our kids playing in the castaway branches of the bush in front of our house.


6 comments:

Annette's Best Kept Secrets said...

Misty that is so cool about doing your sister's cake it will look so awesome. If you need a good mixer I have a kitchen aid if you need to borrow it you are more than welcome too.

Crystal said...

That Cake is going to be so beautiful! You are welcome to borrow my Kitchen Aid. Making your own frosting is a lot cheaper and you have more control over the consistancy. Don't stress and remember it's supposed to be fun! LOL

The Jones Family said...

Your children are so beautiful. I love the smiles...Your oldest looks a lot like you, at least to me she does. :) Just beautiful. Have fun with the cake...it will be great I'm sure!

Sarah E Boucher said...

Sounds like you have some mixer offers already, which was what I was going to suggest (since I don't have a great one either...). It will be a great cake! I've heard that about store bought cakes/frosting, sometimes you don't get the same product you are used to...so maybe you should do an experiment first. I will help in any way I can. When is it again? You know how I am with dates! You have to tell me when things are twice...at least. Need anything else I could find for you?

Steph said...

Hey Mist,
I have a pretty big cooling rack, i think it might work. Come over sometime and take a look. The cake will be awesome! try not to stress too much...ha ha!
Those pictures of the kids are SO cute!

Anonymous said...

Okay I'm tired just reading about your cake. I had no idea you made/decorated cakes!!! (I'll file that away for later) And the picture of Sean's mom and Emma is adorable, she looks just like her.