Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Krispy Treat Empire

So, this weekend I am doing a topsy turvy cake for someone's 'over the hill' birthday. Here is the gist of what I will be doing:



Except the bottom tier will be white with black stripes, the middle tier will be grey and white marble, and the top will be black w/white polka dots. The balls around the bottom of each tier will be neon pink and purple. No red anywhere, and no funky stuff poking out of the top or sides. The bottom tier is krispy treat, and I learned a few valuable lessons today while trying to carve all the layers and put them together:


1. Don't TRY to carve krispy treat. It wasn't meant to be.

2. Krispy treat is very forgiving; if you DO have to carve it, you can always patch it up later!


3. On a topsy turvy cake, the bottom of each tier doesn't need to be carved; (each tier of the cake is actually three cakes, cut in half diagonally and stacked) only the top part needs to have the slant to it.
4. Frozen cake carves about as well as krispy treat. Carve cakes before freezing; frost cakes after freezing.
5. Pumpkin cake is too moist to carve anyway, but tastes awesome.
6. I really need a Kitchen Aid.
7. Listen to husband from now on when it comes to cake business.

I am hoping and praying that this cake turns out! I will be sad if it doesn't, not to mention being crushed by an overwhelming sense of failure.

We had our pack meeting for Cub Scouts on Tuesday, and one of our Wolf dens made these bead necklaces for the Cubmaster and me. I almost cried; it was so sweet. Here I am in my hideous yellow t-shirt, my cheap-and-extremely-sorry excuse for a Scout shirt.
The official ones are like $50 at the scout office - this one was 2.50 at Michaels. No comparison!

Here is the mountain of laundry that Sean and I scaled today. I am happy to report that all that remains of it is the load of jeans in the dryer.

5 comments:

Mandee said...

Post pictures when you finish the cake! I can't wait to see how it all turned out!

KickButtMommy said...

I know your cake is going to be awesome, and I can't wait to see pics of it!

Steph said...

Your cake is going to be awesome! Good for you for even attempting it! It will turn out, they always do and they are always awesome!

Carissa Hill said...

Oh man...you don't even want to see how much laundry has to be done in my house!! It's pathetic...

Sarah E Boucher said...

Good luck! I'm sure it will turn out great though...and you can put it all into the "experience" column. Wish I had a Kitchenaid to lend you til you can get yours! And as I mentioned, any way I can help out, just ask!