Sunday, October 5, 2008

D.C. North 10-year Reunion

NOTE: Mandee & Cloe, you were sorely missed. Both of you an indispensable part of my mission experience, and I wish with all my heart you could have been there. Since you weren't, I hope you will both enjoy a little synopsis!

So, Saturday was my ten-year mission reunion. I was not sure what to expect, since the last one of these I went to was really disappointing - I only knew one person there. I had two mission presidents, and I only served under the second one for about eight months or so - so most of the missionaries at that reunion were young-uns. Anyway, one of my companions, Laura Vanderbeek (aka Sister Patterson)
came to my house and we jumped in the car and went down.

Sean got off work early, so he was able to go too, for which I was overwhelmingly thankful. We walked in and the first person I saw was the last person I expected to - my companion from Quebec who taught me French, Sister Ng:


She is the one on the right - Liz Murdock (formerly Sister Pike) is the one on the left. I can't even begin to capture the night. I got to hug President and Sister Graff, and was shocked when they recognized me right away and called me by name. I have to believe that going home to Heavenly Father must be something like that.

Here are Laura and I with Sister Graff, and here I am with President Graff:


We were all shocked when President Graff cracked several jokes during his talk, and apologized if he was too hard on any of us. He said something to the tune of, 'looking back I think I was pretty strict....' We all started laughing.

We got to hear their testimonies and sing our mission song - which totally made me bawl. I also got to see my hilarious companion Christine Williams.


It was fun to see everyone and find out where they were and how many kids they had, etc. I felt so grateful that I had that experience. It was so hard being a missionary every day. It was hard to stay motivated and work dilligently. But I feel so blessed to have had my mission experience. I am sure it has largely shaped my spirituality.

6 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

What a wonderful experience! I love that you were able to go.

Mandee said...

Oh my goodness I wish I had gone!!! I can't believe you got to see so many people. What a great great thing and I will kick myself from now on that I didn't make the effort to go. I wish I could have seen president Graff and thank him for being such an instrument in shaping my testimony. You lucky, lucky girl. I hope I get the chance to go someday. And thank you for saying what you said at the beginning of your post. I love you!

Sarah E Boucher said...

I loved my last mission reunion...but I have decided not to go unless the president will be there. I love them still! They are the most lovely couple, so warm and kind. I realized what a great man he was when he knelt down and prayed with out zone one time...it really felt as if it got through...it was like your parents praying for you like the do when you're NOT there. Anyway, reunions with them are fantastic. Unless something in my life changes (aka marital status) I don't wanna go to a high school reunion again...but I would go to these anytime. Isn't it lovely to have those tight spiritual bonds with such lovely people? I am pleased to have been a missionary & to have met them. And I know you feel the same. So glad we got to go at the same time!

The Jones Family said...

OMG!!!!! Man, I wish I could have been there!!! Thanks for the Pic (and the "I missed you" note!). Wow, do we all really look that old!!!! Beautiful mind you, but we were such kids!! I'm so jealous...

Mandee said...

Is that you Chloe?

Laurie Nguyen said...

How wonderful! Where did you serve in the DC North Mission? That was the mission where I grew up.