Sunday, October 5, 2008

Families are Forever.....(really? are you sure?)

Okay, so yesterday it was pouring rain and both the girls' soccer games got canceled. I was glad at first, because I didn't feel very good yesterday and I had some things I wanted to do, none of which included sitting in a camp chair in the rain watching my kids pole dance with the goal or run from the ball. Somewhere in the middle of the "mom, he's got my polly car.....mom, spencer just hit me......mom, dodger is eating a crayon....mom, spencer's playing with a girl barbie....mom....mom.....mom" tempest, I realized the problem was that since Emma started first grade, we haven't really had a day home as a family. We spend at least an hour and a half at soccer every Saturday, if not 2 1/2, and then we are gone Sundays for 3+ hours. Wow. Really? This is how it feels to be together as a family all the time. Hm. We may have to work on it. Some good did come out of it, though. When Spencer finally seized the barbie car Emma was whining about (after the polly car), he put it to his own uses:



Earlier the girls had their barbies out and they kept throwing Spencer the prince barbies to play with (which were mysteriously stripped of their royal raiment). He rejected the naked man barbies and went for the girly ones instead. At least he's all boy, right?

One of the things I was doing yesterday was making salsa. My friend Carissa gave me a ton of tomatoes from her garden and some green peppers - so I was going to attempt canning. Well, if you think any store in a ten-mile radius had canning jars/lids, you are up in the night. We went to two Walmarts, Shopko, and Reams. Okay, looking back I guess we could have tried a couple more, but truthfully we ran around too much as it was. Anyone know who still has any? The last Walmart we went to has the best staff, I have to say. A very helpfull associate looked me right in the eyes when I asked where their canning stuff was, and said, suppressing laughter, "We're out. Been out for two weeks. Not getting any more in this season." Then she went back to chatting with her blue-shirted colleague as if I wasn't there, and never had been.

To end on a positive note, here is a picture that Kenna drew for Emma. She even wrote her name on it all by herself. Then she took it upstairs and put it under her pillow.

6 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Just listened to Pres Monson talk about how fleeting these moments are. Hang in there.

Amy Sue said...

Spencer reminds me of me. I used to put my barbies in GI Joes army truck. And the barbies would end up making out with the GI Joes. I guess that's what happens when you are the odd man out. Just be thankful he's not requesting to put on princess dresses!

Beeks by the Lake said...

First of all, cool halloween background! Second - that little face is too adorable. How can you not be kissing his little cheeks constantly?! What a smile! Isn't in wonderful to see your children serve each other - it's obviously because they see your good example. Keep it up!

Sarah E Boucher said...

Fantastic! Leave it to the boy to be a boy when he wants and not so boyish when he wants. I always preferred naked Ken dolls myself...oh, sorry where was I? Oh, the boy. He is TOOO much fun, but we know he has had me captivated from day one (and I usually get bored with babies, give me a nice toddler I can confuse and make do silly things any day!).

Jeannie said...

Can you please tell Spencer thank you for making me laugh so hard I almost peed my pants?

Steph said...

That picture Kenna drew is so cute! Love the dinosaurs in the barbie car, (and that smile) yes he is all boy!!! One day when we are silver and in our rockers we will miss the craziness of it all!
Glad you made it to your reunion, and there was a much better turn out than the one you went to b4. Sounds like you had a great night!
ps first day of my diet and I get orange rolls delivered to my door at 8am! MEAN!!! They were really yummy, hmm this is a bad start! thanks.... sort of! ;-D