Thursday, April 30, 2009

Frustrated? Take it out on the crayons!

So, Spencer has been sick with hand-foot-mouth (apparently). He has been crying and whining and wanting nothing but being held for days. This morning I was feeling so depressed because I can't even take him to a park for fear he'll contaminate the equipment and we'll have an epidemic of hoof/mouth disease. So I decided to just color with the kids. We colored a picture, and then I remembered seeing this cute thing you can do with old broken crayons in family fun magazine. So after Kenna went to school Spencer and I tore the wrappers off and broke up crayons.

I have to say, I had no idea destroying something could entertain him for so long. He was really into it for about 45 minutes. So, here is the result.

You melt the crayons in your oven at 250 for about 10 minutes, and then wait for them to cool and pop them out. The result is a crazy swirled crayon. It would have been way cuter if they were heart-shaped like in the magazine, but I don't have a mini heart tin. Here is the link, if anyone is interested.

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=11585

7 comments:

Amber said...

Fun! I have enough broken crayons to supply cool swirly crayons to all the children of the world...we might have to try this. Sorry you're depressed, I hate when my kids are sick!

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

what a great idea! thanks!!

and sorry about the whiney little guy, that's so hard. especially for days on end.

Beeks by the Lake said...

how cool is that! I've heard of it, but had no idea it would be so easy. thank you, thank you for sharing!

Amy Sue said...

You are one creative mama! I am going to have to remember that one.

Anonymous said...

That's such a cute idea! Look at you, so crafty in times like these. If the weather clears up today we should go for a walk. I need it baaadddd!

Kinnley said...

I loved that magazine! I love that idea, we have so many crayons floating around the house, Hailey's newest fetish is to break the crayons. So we will have to give this a try! Thanks for the idea!

Angela said...

wow, that is a great idea!!! Thanks, great way to ues all those broken crayons up aain!