Friday, August 31, 2007

Monster in the Making



So, I have decided that Spencer is going to be more exhausting than BOTH his sisters - put together. What was I thinking that I had a mellow, laid-back boy? He was just a newborn and wasn't much trouble then. This morning I put him in his bouncer/rocking chair thingy while I took a bath, like I do most mornings. I was just washing the shampoo out of my hair when he launches himself completely forward so his hands are touching the floor. He is still buckeled in, however, so he couldn't fall out. It is a bouncer that rocks - it converts to a toddler rocker. I am sorry to say that I think he is done with it, until he can climb in and out of it by himself (which, the way he's going, should be in about 3 months). So I put the guard thing up on the bottom that makes it into a stationary chair instead of a rocker, and then he tries to roll over backwards in it and touch the toilet, which was right behind him. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! He is also very close to crawling, but still can't seem to get back onto his back if he rolls on his stomach. He can do it when he remembers to throw his head back first ("look at the size of that thing, it's like Sputnik!" Can anyone guess the movie??) If I had remembered that babies crawl shortly after they sit up, I wouldn't have encouraged the sitting up so soon. So I suppose I will be living in a constant state of turmoil until he learns to walk and entertains himself walking around like some alien/teletubbie for about 2.6 days, and then discovers the stairs. Oh well! At least this is my last time around, and all I have to do is cherish it. As for Mackenna, she is in a constant state of anxiety over when SHE gets to go to school like Emma. We bought her school clothes and some cool care bear shoes (what else?) that light up. So she is stomping around the house in her shoes asking when she gets to go to school. Unfortunately, we just found out her school is still under construction, and the earliest it will start is October 1st. At least she will be napping while Emma goes to school most days! It has been a busy week with Emma's 1st soccer game, first day of Kindergarten (orientation), Back-to-School Night, and then Emma's pre-assessment this morning, which Sean took her to. She doesn't start her first official day of school until this Thursday. So we are going to try and enjoy our last week of Summer. My brother and sister, Chris, age 21 (Hail! the conquering returned-missionary) and BryAnne, age 19 (Oh, what shall I do with my life???) are coming up today to spend a couple days with us and that will be fun. Sean, on the other hand, is pulling 2 graveyards in a row, which means he will be a zombee until about Tuesday, when he heads back to work. Hope you all have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend! When I was young I used to think Labor Day was when all the pregnant women had their babies. Makes sense to a 5-year-old, right??

7 comments:

little miss shortcake said...

oh, brothers! kylie was quite a handful, so i, too, thought that a boy would be cake. walter is difficult in every way that kylie was easy and vice versa! he flipped out of his bouncy chair, too. and he has already mastered the stairs, much to my chagrin as i have found him up on kylie's stepstool, playing in the sink, and he isn't even walking yet.
and funny, my sil amanda is being induced on labor day, so you werent too far off...

Misty said...

funny, carrie. it's a good thing we don't know what we are getting into when we become parents!!

KickButtMommy said...

So I married an Axe Murderer!

KickButtMommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandee said...

Oh, he will discover the stairs long before he can walk, mark my words. Jackson finally learned to go down the stairs....yeah! For weeks and weeks he would climb up the stairs, get stuck, cry and I would have to go up and get him. That got old very fast, but now he has learned and so no place is off limits. It gets worse...much worse. And yes it is a very good thing we don't know what being a parent is really like!

Bethany said...

You give me hope that our little girl will be calmer than William. William has certainly kept us on our toes! I hope Emma's first day of school goes well. And yes, we do still need to do dinner!

Jenn said...

just wait till he says "mom hold out your hand" and you get a ugly bug!!!!!!