Saturday, July 12, 2008

Drops of Jupiter


DISCLOSURE NOTICE: THIS IS A DETAILED AND AT TIMES BORING DESCRIPTION OF EVERYTHING WE DID YESTERDAY. IF YOU SKIP IT I WON'T FEEL BAD!

Yesterday really was a pretty good day. My neighbor Stephanie and her kids came walking at the Layton Park with our posse. It was so much better with someone to talk to, even if we kept running our strollers into each other and getting our heels clipped by our kids' scooters. I have been trying to exercise every morning and I am sad to say that by the end of a mile I am heaving and gasping for breath. I am such a wimp. I am trying to work up to two miles. Anyway, thanks for going, Steph!

After that we came back and I showered and actually put makeup on for the first time all week. Then I got up on the trampoline with Spencer and played with him (throwing a big bouncy ball at his head repeatedly) and tickled him relentlessly. He has the cutest dimples that only come out when he is laughing super hard.

After lunch (I was battling the demon on my shoulder that was whispering, 'just take them to Arctic Circle, you know you want to......nevermind the fact that your bank account is empty after paying your mortgage....' we ended up eating cup-o-soup) I put Spencer down for his nap and then the girls and I got some pillows and blankets and layed on the floor. I read them Rapunzel out of Mackenna's book of fairy tales from her Easter basket, and then I read a couple chapters of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which we have been reading a little of each day. I decided I love reading those kind of books to my girls for a couple reasons. 1. They are finally old enough to sit for it (it helps they have seen the movie too), and 2. It's something that keeps my interest too. It has opened a whole new world for me, so to speak, in spending quality time with my kids. After reading the girls feel asleep and I tried, but just when I was dozing off I started thinking about all the things I should be doing. So naturally.....I got up, relocated to the other couch, and read New Moon (I am on my 5th turn through the series - totally psychotic, I know).

When everyone was up from naps I let the kids swim/ride bikes for a bit, and then the demon on my shoulder won out. I cleaned out all our piggy banks and was able to pool $20 in change. I frugally took only $15 of the change to Arctic Cirlce. Imagine my chagrin when our food came to $16 and change. Oi! Why did I get fries for myself again - SEEING AS HOW I'M KILLING MYSELF EVERY MORNING TRYING TO SHED A FEW POUNDS? And why did I get 3 kids meals when I know very well that Emma only ever eats half of her fries, and Spencer only ever eats a few of his? I forced the girls to finish his chicken, making their free kiddie cone contingent upon its disappearance, even though Kenna had a whole hamburger and Emma had a whole grilled cheese.

Then we came home and I bathed the black-footed monkeys. I put Spencer to bed and took the girls back out to ride bikes. The girls looked up at the moon and asked if we could get my telescope out (birthday present for me last year, and I haven't gotten it out once this year so far). I said no, that I was reading.

Then I changed my mind. I am so glad, because after I put the girls to bed I went out and looked at Jupiter, and I actually could see the orange bands that wrap around the planet!!!!! I know, I am an astronomy nerd, but it was seriously so cool. Last year I could only see what looked like a huge, fuzzy peach surrounded by four pin-pricks of light that were the moons. So I was super psyched to see some more detail this time.

2 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Sounds great day, which you most definitely deserve!

Steph said...

I had fun walking too! Thanks for the invite! but then you bring me brownies today...what up with that? PS they are so yummy, I've already had two...sombody stop me.
Thanks for showing me Jupiter too, guess there was one advantage to getting home from cleaning so late. It was really cool!