Sunday, July 6, 2008

Just a little somethin I learned today

So, today is Sunday. Sean had to work, so right off I was NOT looking forward to church. Spencer usually spends a total of 2 minutes in the chapel before one of us has to take him out. So we started out in the foyer today since I was solo. I had already decided to cut out after sacrament since we usually spend the last 2 hours in the foyer, or me chasing Spencer around the building, or finally biting the bullet and taking him into nursery where I PRAY he doesn't think of me as a permanent fixture there (he only has one more month before he goes in). So, I was sitting in the foyer shoveling fruit snacks, pretzels, and fruit loops into Spencer (our leaders asked us not to bring food into the chapel, which makes it that much harder w/Spencer), and I see a dad there by himself, struggling with his 2 kids. I thought to myself, 'really, why do we bother at this age?' I have thought that a million times and I know it is because we're supposed to and we have to teach them young and all that. But this time I got an answer to my question that resonated inside me, and not only did I know it, but I actually felt it. The question was 'why do we bother, it's so hard. why does it have to be so hard if we're here trying to do what's right?' The answer was, 'because it's supposed to be hard. It wouldn't be a true test of obedience and valiance if it was easy, just because you're doing what you should.' I felt like Heavenly Father knew me personally at that moment and has been there all the time, even though I have felt spiritually estranged for a long time. I just get stuck going through the motions, and not really feeling his presence or feeling like I know him personally. Okay, hope my bishop doesn't read this (Katie, if you read this you will kindly NOT pass it on). I was grateful that Heavenly Father blessed me with an answer to a question I have had for a long time, but have never really asked. I think fasting had something to do with it too - another gem that I haven't quite caught the spirit of yet.

Our 4th was mellow but fun. Here are the girls in their cute shirts and skirts, before they had spilled chocolate milk and all kinds of other stuff down their front:


Later that night the Hills came over for a BBQ and fireworks. Here is Carissa and her cute belly, for which she has been put back on bedrest. Find a happy place, Carissa.....imagine a pair of icy hands rubbing your tummy.



In parting, I have to recommend this excellent movie to all you Austen-y fans out there. It is not Jane Austen, but so close to Pride & Prejudice there isn't THAT much difference. My friend Sarah came over on the 4th and brought it and we watched it (all four hours of it).

It rocks!


I have only one other thing to end on:
"Look.......look back at me now."


That was for you, Sarah.




One last thing: after church today I left kenna at the table finishing lunch while I did some stuff on my computer for Scouts. I didn't know why she was taking so long - my girl loves to eat. Finally I got her down for her nap and when I went over to the table to clear the dishes, this is what I found:\

The jar was at least 1/2 full when I left the table.

6 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Thanks for the reminder, Misty!

Sean said...

My wife is a rock star If it was her who Had to work on sunday I would not even attempt to go to church with 3 kids by my self. The best part of her watching a 4 hour movie with her friend Sarah was I got to take a nap with the kids. Love you Mist

Beeks by the Lake said...

Boy did I need to hear your lesson learned. It was a confirmation I needed to hear. Between you and Mandee in the last few weeks a lot of questions have been answered because honestly I am tired and want to just throw myself on the floor and sob sometimes. Thank you for sharing, it means more than you'll know.

Steph said...

I think every mom has said the same thing at church. I'm glad you had that experience though, thats awesome!
what's up with dodger in the high chair? Like you don't have enough peolpe to serve, he wanted some of the luv too huh?
I love the empty olive bottle, that is so funny...but YUK! she really is a good eater!

Mandee said...

I think you speak for all the moms out there and I am so glad you decided to share your learning experience with us. So thank you!

katie said...

Misty of course I will read it. My husband just got done reading it also. Just kidding not really. Trust me when I had three kids under the age of three I struggled big time. I went home crying most Sunday's. You are not alone. Good lesson though! You rock! Just know that this to shall pass. At least that is what I have to say to myself A LOT!!!!